The overall health of a workforce can often be an indication of the health of their company. As a business manager or owner, preventing workplace injuries is an important part of keeping your workers healthy. When a worker experiences pain due to an injury or underlying condition, it can hinder their productivity. Unaddressed health conditions can also lead to high health care costs later on. This makes staying on top of worker wellness essential. Do you have employees with chronic back pain? Chronic pain can be a symptom of a larger issue such as a weak core.
Signs that an employee’s chronic back pain is a weak core symptom
- Frequent lower back pain — A central symptom of having a weak core is lower back pain. If someone experiences frequent lower back pain, especially after sitting or standing for a long time, they may have a weak core.
- Poor posture — People with weak cores tend to exhibit poor posture. Look out for employees with chronic back pain slouching or hunching forward.
- Limited mobility — Having a weak core can make a person have difficulty getting around. Reduced range of motion and strength can be caused by a weak core.
Ways to improve core strength at work
- Ergonomic workspaces — Ergonomics can be a great way to develop core strength in employees. If your workers spend most of their working hours seated, investing in ergonomic chairs can help reduce back pain. Sitting-standing desks can also help, as they enable employees to shift their position to relieve stress.
- Frequent breaks — Short, frequent breaks throughout the day can boost employee health and productivity. With each short break, a worker can take a few minutes to stretch and improve core health.
- Wellness programs — Implementing wellness programs can be a great way to encourage core strength improvement in the workforce. Wellness programs can be tailored to fit groups as well as individual workers as needed.
Address the weak core symptoms of your workers with guidance from Work-Fit
Addressing the core health of your workers can yield significant benefits in the long run. At Work-Fit, our team of sports medicine professionals is ready to help you integrate ergonomics and company wellness programs. We can work with you to relieve pain and develop strength in your workers.
Contact our team today for more information about our services or to learn how we can keep your employees healthy.